Summer is right around the corner! One of our favorite outdoor activities during the summer is tie-dyeing socks. Whether you are a counselor at a summer camp or are just looking for a fun activity to do with your kids, we have you covered. Just grab your custom socks and keep reading to learn how to tie-dye socks.
What you will need:
· Custom socks with your summer camp’s logo
· Rubber bands
· Plastic bags
Let’s get started:
- Before you begin, lay out your kit instructions along with the materials you need in front of you. This will help you to stay organized and be able to easily reach for something if your gloves are covered in dye.
- To start, mix the dye with water. Read the kit’s instructions to determine how much water is required. Fill each of the dye bottles accordingly. Be sure to shake them hard so that the powder is mixed well.
- Once your dye is mixed, fasten the rubber bands around the socks to create your desired design. We used three rubber bands to separate the three colors we would be using. There are many different designs you can create using rubber bands. The rubber bands act as guides to where your color will go and how the end result will turn out. Depending on how many colors you want to use will typically determine the number of rubber bands you will need.
- Now it’s time to get creative. Grab the dye and begin adding the colors to the sock where you choose. Be sure to apply a generous amount on the sock so that the colors stick and become very bright and saturated. Use as many or as few colors as you would like!
- Once your socks look how you want them to, you will need to let the dye soak into the sock for a few hours. Reference the instructions in your kit to determine how long the dye you are using needs to soak. We let our dye sock for 8 hours.
- After the dye has soaked for the required amount of time, you will then need to rinse the dye from the socks. This will desaturate the colors slightly but is a necessary step. Leave your socks out until they have dried fully.
- Once the socks have dried, remove the rubber bands and see your design come to life. Now it’s time to get out and enjoy your awesome custom tie dye socks!
How to Tie Dye Socks from Custom Sock Shop on Vimeo.
Ready to start tie-dyeing? Order custom socks for your group today!
Already tried it? We love seeing your socks in action. Share your tie-dye socks with us using the hashtag #MySockStory